Celebrate Earth Day 2022 with the Libraries
“Braiding Sweetgrass” Author Talk and Volunteer Opportunities
Celebrate Earth Day 2022 with the Author of “Braiding Sweetgrass” and by Volunteering to Make Denver more Just and Sustainable!
Earth Day 2022 is fast approaching! We think Earth Day is a great time to rally people to do something impactful for their community. The University of Denver Center for Sustainability has teamed up with offices across campus, including the University Libraries, to create several awesome opportunities to do just this. Check out the full schedule of Earth Month events, and we particularly hope you will join us to:
Learn from Dr. Robin Wall Kimmerer, Author of “Braiding Sweetgrass” (4/19/22):
“Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants” is an inspiring collection of essays about the natural world that weaves together Indigenous wisdom, plant science and personal narrative, inviting readers to revitalize their connection with the natural world. As a botanist, Dr. Robin Wall Kimmerer has been trained to ask questions of nature with the tools of science. As a member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation, she embraces the notion that plants and animals are our oldest teachers. In Braiding Sweetgrass, Kimmerer brings these lenses of knowledge together to teach and to celebrate the gifts of the earth.
- When: Tuesday, April 19th, 2022 from noon to 1pm (MDT)
- Where: Via a Zoom webinar moderated by Dr. Ramona Beltran, GSSW, DU
- Want to watch together? Join us in AAC 301 for a group watch with snacks (we recommend you still register on your own, so you get any follow up materials).
You can read copies of Dr Kimmerer’s books online through the University Libraries:
- Braiding Sweetgrass, Ebook Version, (we have unlimited ebook copies/licenses, so everyone can read the ebook online and/or “check out” a digital copy by following the prompts to download the Adobe Digital Editions program onto your device).
- Braiding Sweetgrass, Audiobook Version (we have purchased extra audiobook licenses for this title, so if you’ve been on the waitlist, you’re in luck!)
- Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses, Ebook Version, (we have unlimited ebook copies/licenses, so everyone can read online and/or create a free account on “My EBSCOhost” to download a copy of the book to their device. Licensing ebook content for academic libraries is a surprisingly complicated process, so we apologize for all the different access rules from each publisher!).
Take Action through the Earth Day of DUing (4/22/22):
DU’s Center of Sustainability has partnered with 30 amazing campus and community partners to offer service projects that help make DU and the Denver Metro Area a more just and sustainable place to live, work, and play. Please volunteer to make these projects come to life!
Schedule for Friday, April 22, 2022:
- Kickoff Breakfast: 8AM Carnegie Green
- Projects: 10AM-2PM, all over Denver and beyond (transportation is provided)
- After Party: 2:30PM-5PM, Carnegie Green
Kickoff breakfast begins at 8AM on Carnegie Green. Grab an empanada (from Maria Empanada), coffee, and your t-shirt, and get excited for the day with comments from Provost Clark! Service projects will begin around 10AM, and will go until about 1 or 2pm. Join us for a celebratory reception from 2:30-5pm, back on Carnegie Green.
We hope to see you there! Don’t hesitate to reach out to Emily Schosid with any questions or concerns.