University Libraries Dean: Michael Levine-Clark
As Dean of the University of Denver Libraries since 2016, Michael Levine-Clark oversees the Anderson Academic Commons — a vibrant, innovative, student-focused space that combines the library with other academic support services; the Bonfils-Stanton Music Library; and the Hampden Center – an off-campus facility where the bulk of the collections are housed.
Michael has been at DU since 1999 where he has held a variety of other positions, including Associate Dean for Scholarly Communication and Collections services, Collections Librarian, and Reference Librarian.
He is the author of dozens of publications about academic library collections, trends in scholarly communication, and library collaboration. He is a frequent presenter at publisher and library events, and has been invited to speak on six continents.
He served as co-editor of the 4th edition of The Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences and co-author of the 4th edition of the ALA Glossary of Library and Information Science. He helped found the open access journal Collaborative Librarianship, and continues to serve on its editorial board.
As co-chair of the NISO Recommended Practices for Demand Driven Acquisition of Monographs, he co-authored the recommended practices document. For his work on e-books and demand-driven acquisition models, he received the 2015 Harrasowitz Leadership in Library Acquisitions Award.
Michael has held leadership roles in many library organizations. Among his current roles, he is:
- Chair of the Greater Western Library Alliance (GWLA) Board of Directors
- Co-Chair of the Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries Shared Collection Development Committee
- Member of the OCLC Global Council and Americas Regional Council
- Member and Past-Chair of the Western Regional Trust Executive Committee
- Chair of the Rosemont Shared Print Alliance Executive Committee
- Member of the Colorado OER Council
He has served on the advisory boards of over twenty publishers and library vendors, including current membership on:
- Cambridge University Press North American Library Advisory Board and Global Library Advisory Board
- Elsevier North American Library Advisory Board
- JSTOR Library Advisory Group
- Oxford University Press Library Advisory Group
- ProQuest North American Library Advisory Board
- Reveal Digital Executive Committee
- Springer Nature Americas Library Advisory Board
- Wiley Library Advisory Board