Inclusive Excellence in the University Libraries
The University of Denver Libraries are strongly committed to Inclusive Excellence (IE). This commitment reflects a broader dedication by the university and a long-standing pledge within the library profession. The University Libraries continuously strive toward increased IE, informed by, but not limited to, the Chancellor's Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusive Excellence and the American Library Association's Diversity Policy. The Libraries incorporate the diversity and inclusion goals of DU Impact 2025 in strategic planning.
the University of Denver Libraries Statement on inclusive excellence
Central to learning and knowledge creation, the University Libraries' services, collections, and hiring practices aim to serve the needs of the DU community across all ranges of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, nationality, age, disability, socioeconomic background, and other identity categories. This commitment ensures the library provides a rich academic, intellectual, and cultural environment for everyone by:
- Identifying initiatives and designing programs that showcase the benefits of Inclusive Excellence
- Building collections that represent the diversity of the human experience
- Providing equitable access to library collections, spaces, and services
- Creating opportunities for faculty, staff, and students to develop diversity, inclusion, and cultural competencies
- Collaborating both within the library and across campus to promote wider understanding and application of Inclusive Excellence
- Developing outreach initiatives to engage both the DU and the greater community
ALA Policy Manual - look at section 60 for ALA's Diversity Policy
DU Inclusive Excellence - Center of Multicultural Excellence's page on Inclusive Excellence
It's On Us at the University of Denver - Take the pledge: This pledge is a personal commitment to help keep women and men safe from sexual assault.
Office of Equal Opportunity - This University of Denver department is responsible for ensuring compliance with the University's anti-discrimination policies and promoting full compliance with all federal, state and local discrimination laws.
Librarians at University of Denver Libraries create research guides that support DU courses focusing on multicultural topics as well as pathfinders that highlight the library's diverse collection. Some of these are listed below. View additional IE research guides.