The Library has two databases that provide industry ratios. They are Bizminer and eStatement studies (from RMA – Risk Management Association).
To obtain the data from either of these databases, use NAICS codes for Bizminer and e-Statement studies. Instructions on how to find these codes are provided after the steps on how to access the industry ratio databases.
To access any of these databases take the following steps:
1. Go to the library homepage at library.du.edu.
2. Click on the “Databases” tab and then click on “Databases by Subject.”
3. Click on “Business / Finance” and then the “Business/Finance – Finance & Investment” link.
4. You will get a list of databases. Scroll down and click on Bizminer, e-Statement Studies, or Key Business Ratios.
5. If you click on Bizminer, click on “Find Industry Reports” once in the database.
You will get a screen where you can then enter your NAICS code (see below for instructions on finding this code), or use the drilldown industry categories to select your sector.
6. To get the results from eStatement studies, click on the button next to “Sort by NAICS.” Then select your NAICS code from the list and click on the Go button. You will retrieve a chart of data for the most current year provided. You can then change the dates to obtain data for different years.
7. To get results from Key Business ratios select the relevant SIC code once you are in the database. You will get ratios for 3 different years.
Identifying NAICS and SIC Codes
If you have a company name, you can find its NAICS and SIC codes using Hoover’s Online.
To access Hoover’s Online
1. Go to library.du.edu and click on the “Databases” tab.
2. Click on the letter “H.” You will get a list of databases that begin with “H.”
3. Scroll down and click on Hoover’s Online.
4. Once in the database, enter the name of your company in the search box.
5. You will get a list of results. Click on your company name.
6. Once you have accessed the company’s record click on the “Industry Information” link located in the “Company Index” section located under the company’s name.
8. Once you have clicked on the “Industry Information” link you will find the NAICS and SIC codes. Sometimes companies will have several codes and those will show up in Hoovers. The main codes are in bold.
If you do not have a company name, but have an industry use the NAICS search interface to identify the code. It is located at
To find the SIC code by industry, use the SIC search interface located at the following URL :