Searching the library’s Catalog using the strategies below will provide you with a list of children’s materials on various topics owned by Penrose Library.
1. To find children’s books quickly, use the Advanced Keyword Search feature of the Classic Catalog. To access the Classic Catalog, click on the “Books, Journals and More” tab on the library’s homepage and then click the link for the Classic Catalog. When prompted, choose the option for Penrose Library.
On the Classic Catalog page, you will see a link for Advanced Keyword Search.
2. Enter a topic into the first search box. In the second search box, add a term from the suggestions below and then select “subject” from the drop down menu.
The following subjects are used to classify children’s books. Adding one of these terms to your search as a subject will bring up the needed materials.
- juvenile literature (Finds materials for reading levels 4 –12)
- young adult literature (Finds materials for reading levels 6 and up)
- children’s books (Finds materials for reading levels pre-K – 6)
- children’s stories (Finds materials for reading levels pre-K – 6)
- picture books (Finds materials for reading levels pre-K – 1)
For example, if you are looking for juvenile literature on butterflies, you would put butterflies in the first search box and then juvenile literature in the second box (with subject selected in drop down).
During the Academic Commons building project, all materials (including children’s books) are stored in the Hampden Center. Use the Request It button to have the materials delivered to Penrose@Driscoll.
For the widest selection of children’s books, conduct the same search in Prospector, the regional catalog for all of Colorado and Wyoming.